McGregor hints at comeback
Conor McGregor is known for his controversy. From cryptic messages to trouble-making, he is never far from the spotlight. This time McGregor has hinted at an MMA comeback in Dublin. So McGregor is the topic of many conversations once again.
When McGregor’s not in the headlines for the sport, he’s hitting the news for violence. From punching a man in the head to smashing a fan’s phone, he is not a stranger to bad press. But it seems he can’t stay away from MMA.
The recent surge in whispers is not that much of a surprise, to say the least. It’s not the first time McGregor announced his retirement on Twitter. After defeat to Nate Diaz in 2016, the Irishman said he decided to “retire young”. However, he returned to fight and beat the same opponent later that year.
More recently, following his defeat to Khabib Nurmagomedov, McGregor announced his retirement from Mixed Martial Arts (MMA).
He ‘ended’ his career, with an MMA record of 21 wins and four defeats. In his Tweet, the Irish fighter said:
“Hey guys quick announcement, I’ve decided to retire from the sport formally known as ‘Mixed Martial Art’ today.
“I wish all my old colleagues well going forward in competition. I now join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement. Proper Pina Coladas on me fellas!”
— Forbes SportsMoney (@ForbesSports) August 6, 2019
A look at McGregor’s commitment & past
Firstly, we can see McGregor’s motivation to continue in the sport has been called into question in recent years. After his MMA inactivity that is, and a brief foray into boxing to fight Floyd Mayweather in 2017. He made $30 million for the fight itself and reportedly pocketed close to $100 million in total through the various forms of revenue streams.
Secondly, since September 2018 McGregor has been busy promoting Proper No. 12, his own brand of blended whiskey, which retails for around $25 a bottle.
Thirdly, McGregor was charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief after he attacked a charter bus in New York carrying UFC fighters.
Lastly, in 2019, Khabib beat McGregor in what would be the Irish man’s last fight – or so it seemed.
McGregor in the headlines for assault
McGregor’s most recent assault charge happened in a Dublin bar, where he assaulted a 50-year-old bar patron. The assault did not go unnoticed as Irish WBO European Champion ‘Cool Hand’ Luke Keeler took to Twitter to blast McGregor for his actions.
Apparently McGregor got word of the Twitter message. He then decided to call Keeler on the telephone to make sure his frustration was heard.
Keeler said: “I don’t want to get into it too much, but I know he wasn’t happy about the call out…
“He rang me and we had a few words. I told him the fight was there to be made and he was all for it. He agreed to fight over the phone.”
“I do not feel pressure in the octagon. I feel FREE inside there.”
— Jesse James Evan (@NotoriousJesseJ) August 1, 2019
The McGregor phone call and subsequent acceptance of a boxing match may have been in the heat of the moment. Despite this, Keeler still feels the fight might happen.
“I agree it could be just all talk. Whether he has the balls or not to get in the ring again, never mind with me, we will have to see…”
Since then McGregor posted on Twitter to keep everyone on their toes. His Tweet simply read: “Dublin, December 14th.”
Dublin, December 14th.
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) September 16, 2019
And while it doesn’t look like the December bout will be the rematch between McGregor and Khabib that everyone wants, UFC President Dana White did admit earlier this month that Khabib – McGregor Two would ‘make a lot of sense’.
We think McGregor is not done. We could see a similar return to that of 2016.