Nick Foles steps in to lead an upset 30-23 victory
The Eagles beat the Rams 30-23 shocking the NFL world and keeping the Eagles’ playoff hopes alive after the upset win.
Many fans entered the weekend cautiously optimistic, with Last year’s performance in mind. Carson Wentz went down in LA with a torn ACL, after which backup Nick Foles stepped in and led the Eagles to a Super Bowl trophy.
— Philadelphia Eagles (@Eagles) December 17, 2018
The circumstances were eerily familiar. Same field, same team, around the same time in the same season. So the result truly shocked many.
The Rams were coming off a tough Sunday night loss, when they suffered their second defeat this season, at the hands of the Bears this time.
Philadelphia’s win was the second-biggest this season, with Foles stepping in for Carson Wentz to ultimately lead them to their first Super Bowl.
Foles sparked the offence into scoring 30 points for just the second time this season and the defence restricted the Rams.
“It was really emotional,” said Foles, who went from back-up to MVP of the Super Bowl last season.
“You hate for your team-mate to get hurt. I’ve said it before, I feel really bad for Carson – we’re tight in that QB room.
“You go through the human emotions. I don’t care what you’ve done in the past – it doesn’t matter once you step onto that field, it’s a new day.”
The Rams slipped to back-to-back for the first time under head coach Sean McVay. After clinging to life for the last few weeks the Rams are finally in the play-off race at 7-7.
What’s left in Week 15?
Defeat for the Rams opens the door for the Saints to grab some breathing room in the race for top spot in the NFC as they face divisional rivals Carolina, who realistically need a win to remain in the wildcard hunt.
The Saints can’t clinch top spot until Week 16 but they’ll stay top regardless of the result on Monday and a win would put them on the brink of guaranteeing home-field advantage throughout the play-offs – which would be huge.
Stats of the week
- The Eagles were the joint biggest underdogs a defending Super Bowl champion has ever been for a game as they upset the Rams.
- The New England Patriots could miss out on a first-round bye for the first time in nine seasons. They’ve never reached the Super Bowl from the wildcard round in three attempts.
- Green Bay Packers QB Aaron Rodgers will have just the second losing season of his career – 10 years after his only other.
- The Cleveland Browns ended an 11-game losing streak against the Denver Broncos on Saturday – the longest streak of losses by any team against one opponent.
- Julio Jones is just the fifth player in NFL history to record three 1,500-yard receiving seasons.
- Todd Gurley has scored 20 touchdowns this season – he’s just the third Rams player to reach that total, joining legend Marshall Faulk and Eric Dickerson.
Week 15 Betting Odds
23rd December, 24th December, 25th December : Find a FULL list of updated ODDS HERE