Neymar’s accuser charged with fraud and extortion over rape case

Police in the Brazilian state of Sao Paulo have indicted the woman who accused Neymar of rape, charging her with fraud, extortion and slander.

The PSG and Brazil forward was accused of raping Najila Trindade in a Paris hotel room in May, but he alleged the encounter was consensual and prosecutors said in August they were dropping the case against him because of a lack of evidence.

Sao Paulo state police also said in a statement on Tuesday they were indicting Trindadeโ€™s former husband, Estivens Alves, on fraud charges. The BBC reported Trindadeโ€™s lawyer as saying the indictment had taken him by surprise and that his client rejected the accusations.

The former Barcelona and Santos forward has always denied the accusations against him and released private chats and lurid photos he said he had exchanged with Trindade.

At the time the case was dropped Neymar said he was relieved, adding: “This scar will remind me that human beings can do good things, but also the worst.”

Sao Paulo state prosecutor Estefania Paulin had said Trindade did not produce any of the evidence she claimed she had, including a video that allegedly proved the Brazilian footballer attacked her.

Ms Paulin added: “The police investigator asked her to plug her phone to a computer so she could see the video, but she didn’t want to do that. She also refused to hand over her phone, and later she said it had been stolen.”

Prosecutors said the only injury to Ms Trindade was to her finger, and medical reports could not prove she had been raped.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here