The breakdown of the UFC 229 post-fight brawl
UFC 229 ended in carnage, and it wasn’t only McGregor and Khabib involved. Khabib defeated Conor in the fourth round of their UFC lightweight fight, and as it ended the result was immediately overshadowed. A post-fight brawl broke out ending in at least three arrests.
Khabib immediately jumped over the Octagon after McGregor tapped out hurling himself towards McGregor’s training partner Bellator welterweight Dillon Danis. Meanwhile, McGregor was attacked by two of Khabib’s team members.
- Khabib initiated a physical confrontation with Danis immediately after submitting McGregor in the fourth round of their fight
- Police officers intervened
- At least 2 men jumped into the ring to attack McGregor, and one of the men hit the Irishman in the back of the head
- Security was able to separate the two fights
- McGregor and Khabib were both given police escorts
- Khabib was not presented with his belt because of security concerns
- 3 of Khabib’s team were arrested
- Zubaira Tukhugov was one of the people involved in the attack on McGregor
- McGregor decided against pressing charges so the men were released
- White has promised that any contracted fighters who were involved in the brawl will never fight for the promotion again. Tukhugov had been due to fight McGregor’s sparring partner Artem Lobov later this month
- Khabib will not receive any money pending an investigation
- Khabib Nurmagomedov may also face criminal charges
- No decision has been made yet regarding whether or not Khabib will be stripped from his lightweight title