LeBron James scores 29 points in comeback win over Houston Rockets
The Lakers fought back from a 19-point deficit to stun the Rockets at the Staples Center. LeBron had 29 points and 11 rebounds for the Lakers who avoided their second-ever season sweep against the Rockets as they finished with a 111-106 win on Thursday night.
The Lakers trailed most of the game and were down 95-88 with 7:49 remaining when they went on a 17-4 run over a six-minute span. James, who scored eight points during the run gave Los Angeles a 99-97 lead with 4:15 remaining. They went on to lead by as many as eight in the final minute – making it the Lakers’ sixth comeback victory.
The win sees them improve to 28-29 on the season, now just two and a half games behind the eighth-seeded Los Angeles Clippers in the Western Conference.
Brandon Ingram had 27 points and 13 rebounds for the Lakers, while Kyle Kuzma put in 18 of his own. Reggie Bullock had 14 points and JaVale McGee finished with 11 as all five starters scored in double figures for Los Angeles.
Harden got into early foul trouble before finished with 30 points for his 32nd consecutive 30-point game. The NBA’s leading scorer at 36.6 points per game entering the night, Harden fouled out with 1:24 left and Houston trailing 105-99.
Paul had 23 points, 10 rebounds and nine assists, and Capela had 12 points and 11 rebounds in his return after missing 15 games due to a thumb injury.
- Meanwhile, Stephen Curry bombed in 10 three-pointers in a 36-point performance that allowed the Golden State Warriors to complete a season-series sweep of the Sacramento Kings with a 125-123 victory in Oakland.
- Tobias Harris scored 23 points and grabbed 11 rebounds and Ben Simmons scored 21 points as the host Philadelphia 76ers held off the Miami Heat 106-102.
- Giannis Antetokounmpo recovered from a slow start to score 30 points and grab 13 rebounds as the Milwaukee Bucks returned from the All-Star break to earn a 98-97 victory over the visiting Boston Celtics on Thursday night.
- Jusuf Nurkic collected 27 points and 12 rebounds as the Portland Trail Blazers opened a seven-game road trip with a 113-99 road victory over the Brooklyn Nets.
- Kevin Love, making his third appearance of the season since missing 50 games through injury, scored 16 points and grabbed 11 rebounds to lead the Cleveland Cavaliers to a 111-98 win over the visiting Phoenix Suns.