The British Grand Prix will remain on the Formula 1 calendar, with Silverstone retaining hosting rights for the next five years.
Silverstone’s future in F1 had been up in the air after the circuit’s owners, the British Racing Drivers’ Club, enacted a break clause in its deal with F1 in 2017.
F1’s owners Liberty Media have long talked up the importance of keeping a race in the UK, and particularly at Silverstone, and a deal has finally been confirmed, in the week of the 2019 British GP.
Liberty CEO Chase Carey said in a statement: “We are really pleased to confirm that the British Grand Prix will stay on the FIA Formula 1 World Championship calendar for at least the next five years, with the event remaining at its longstanding home, Silverstone circuit.
— Formula 1 (@F1) July 10, 2019
“We have always said that, if it is to have a long-term future, our sport must reserve its historic venues and Silverstone and Great Britain represent the cradle of this sport, its starting point back in 1950.”
Silverstone’s saviour leaves three tracks with particularly uncertain futures in F1 – the Circuit de Catalunya, Hockenheimring and Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez.
With new races in Vietnam and the Netherlands set for the 2020 calendar, Carey has previously confirmed two will drop off to make way.
Monza is also yet to secure a deal beyond 2019, although it is expected that one will be announced at the Italian GP later this year.