Samuel Umtiti has agreed on a new five-year deal
Barcelona Samuel Umtiti has agreed on a new five-year deal with the La Liga champions, ending speculation that he would leave Nou Camp.
Umtiti, 24, only joined Barca two years ago from Lyon but his €60 million release clause left the club worrying that he could be tempted by the money on offer in the Premier League.
He has since scored two goals in 88 appearances for Ernesto Valverde’s side. During which he won one La Liga title as well as two Copas del Rey. So, it was pertinent that Barca locked him down for a few more years.
Barca have not yet revealed how much Umtiti’s new release clause will be but a source told ESPN FC it will be “significantly more” than the current €60m.
The France centre-back fuelled the speculation in March when he refused to comment on reports he could sign for United. However, in recent weeks he has reiterated his desire to remain at Barcelona and on Sunday the Catalan club announced that an agreement had been reached for him to extend his stay.
“FC Barcelona and Samuel Umtiti have reached an agreement to extend the player’s contract for a further five seasons through to 2022-23,” a statement said.
“The Frenchman will be putting pen to paper on Monday in the Josep Sunol lounge at Camp Nou. He will then speak to the media in the Ricard Maxenchs pressroom.”
Umititi will return to France to continue his preparations for the World Cup in Russia this summer.